La Follette Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Tennessee Personal Injury Lawyers Helping Clients With Nursing Home Abuse Claims in La Follette
Finding a nursing home for an elderly loved one can be a difficult task, especially since so many seniors suffer injuries as a result of nursing home abuse and neglect each year. It is important for families in La Follette to recognize that nursing home abuse can take many different forms, and that it is often difficult to spot the signs and symptoms of negligence in a skilled nursing facility. A La Follette nursing home abuse lawyer can help.
Get the Facts About Nursing Home Negligence in Tennessee
How often does nursing home abuse happen, and who is at greatest risk of suffering serious injuries? The Tennessee Commission on Aging & Disability and the National Council on Aging (NCOA) provides some of the following facts and figures:
- There are currently more than 5 million victims of nursing home abuse in the U.S. each year;
- About 1 out of every 10 Americans aged 60 and older (or 10 percent of that population) has been the victim of some type of elder abuse, and that number is likely lower than the actual numbers as a result of underreporting;
- Only 1 out of every 14 cases of elder abuse gets reported in the U.S. each year, according to one study;
- Social isolation puts a senior at greater risk of being a victim of elder abuse;
- Mental impairment, like Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, puts a senior in a skilled nursing facility at greater risk of becoming a victim of nursing home abuse; and
- Seniors who have been victims of abuse have a 300 percent higher risk of death than the elderly who have not been subject to abuse or neglect.
Recognizing Different Types of Nursing Home Abuse in La Follette
Nursing home abuse can be stopped and prevented. It is important to know about the different types of elder abuse and their distinctive signs and symptoms. The following are some of the most common types of elder abuse that afflict residents of nursing homes.
- Physical abuse: signs and symptoms include broken bones, cuts, bruises, abrasions, and other unexplained marks;
- Emotional or psychological abuse: elders often show sudden changes in behavior, withdrawal from or disinterest in normal activities, anxiety, depression, strained relationship with a caregiver, change in level of alertness, and any other behaviors that seem unusual;
- Sexual abuse: bleeding or bruising in the senior’s genital area, bloody or ripped undergarments; blood on bed sheets or linens, bruising around the breasts or thighs, pain in or around the genital area, sexually transmitted infection, depression, and other behavior changes that are unexplained can all be signs or symptoms of sexual abuse; and
- Neglect: unlike the forms of abuse described above, nursing home neglect injuries occur when a staff member or caregiver fails to provide care to a senior, and signs can include bed sores, unkempt appearance, general uncleanliness, unexplained weight loss, lack of medically necessary devices like dentures or hearing aids, and unattended medical needs in general.
Seek Advice from a La Follette Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
If you have concerns about an elderly loved one’s safety, you should reach out to a La Follette nursing home abuse lawyer as soon as possible to learn more about your options. An advocate at Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC can speak with you today. Contact us for more information.