Clinton Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyer
As the U.S. population has aged, families moved apart to different states, and workloads increased to approximately 45 hours a week, on average, nursing homes and assisted living facilities have grown in popularity. In fact, 40 percent of Americans will reside in a nursing home They offer a safe, clean environment for our older loved ones to live out the rest of their days in the professional care of knowledgeable and kind staff. However, not all staff members or facilities are equal in the care they provide. All too often, nursing homes create an environment that enables neglect and abuse to occur, which can devastate the quality of life, and even lifespan, of the senior citizens who they are entrusted to help. If a loved one has been abused, call a Clinton nursing home abuse lawyer with Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC today.
What is Elder Abuse?
Elder abuse consists of any physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse, or health care fraud, inflicted upon an older person. While most elder abuse is inflicted by family members of the victim, if your loved one lives in a nursing home, there is actually a very high chance that they have been abused or neglected at one point or another. Recent studies have revealed that 44 percent of nursing home residents reported being abused and 95 percent had been neglected. Forms of abuse include the following:
- Physical Abuse – Physical abuse is any unwanted:
- Or any other unnecessary violent or harmful act.
- Sexual Abuse – Sexual abuse consists of any form of non consensual:
- Fondling or touching of the private areas;
- Pornographic photography; or
- Verbal sexual abuse.
- Emotional Abuse – Emotional abuse consists of any unnecessary actions or communication by a staff member that causes emotional distress, such as:
- Intimidation; or
- Financial Abuse – Financial abuse is becoming ever more prominent amongst the elderly, and includes theft, fraud, and the following:
- Forging signatures;
- Undue influence in will or estate decisions; and
- Use of credit cards or checks.
- Healthcare Fraud and Abuse – Healthcare fraud and abuse occurs when a doctor, nurse, or other caregiver carries out unethical practices, including:
- Overcharging for care;
- Double billing;
- Inappropriate administering of prescription medication;
- Medicaid fraud; and
- Receiving kickbacks.
Nursing Home Neglect
Neglect is another serious problem in Clinton nursing homes and around the country. Neglect occurs when a resident is not given proper food, clothing, water, medication, or care. It happens when a patient is kept isolated in their room too long, is not moved they develop bed sores, or when any other basic necessities, emotional stimulation, or personal hygiene needs are not met.
Call a Clinton Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyer Today
If your loved one has been subjected to abuse or neglect, you need to contact an experienced Clinton nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer with the law offices of Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC today. Our attorneys can ensure that you are financially compensated to help repair the damages that have been caused, and will fight tirelessly to hold the negligent party accountable.