Maryville Uninsured Motorist Lawyer
Nobody should have to worry about sustaining serious injuries in a motor vehicle collision caused by another driver’s error, yet these accidents happen more often than most of us would like to think. These collisions can be even more devastating when it turns out that the driver who hit you does not have insurance and cannot cover the damage they have caused. If you were harmed in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, it is important to seek advice as soon as possible from a Maryville uninsured motorist lawyer. You will only have a limited amount of time to file a claim, and it is critical to get started on the process.
Learning More About Uninsured Motorist Accidents in Maryville, Tennessee
How many drivers are unlawfully uninsured? And how frequently are uninsured motorists involved in collisions? The following facts and figures come from the Insurance Information Institute (III) and Bankrate:
- Approximately 1 out of every 8 drivers, or about 12.6 percent of all motorists nationwide, are uninsured, which comes out to about 32 million uninsured drivers in the country;
- Uninsured motorist rates are high across the country, but they are especially high in some states;
- Tennessee has the third-highest rate of uninsured motorists in the country, with studies showing that nearly 24 percent of all drivers are uninsured;
- More than 80 percent of uninsured motorists indicated that they do not have insurance because they cannot afford it, or because their vehicle is inoperable; and
- Economic downturn is the most commonly cited reason for motorists failing to have proper auto insurance.
What Happens If I Am Injured in a Collision Caused by an Uninsured Motorist in Maryville?
If you are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured motorist, the easiest option for obtaining at least some coverage for your losses is to file a claim through your own uninsured motorist (UM) coverage if you have it. However, UM coverage is optional in Tennessee, so many motorists do not have coverage in the event of a collision with an uninsured driver.
Since most uninsured drivers cannot afford insurance, often it will not make sense to file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver since it is unlikely you would actually be able to receive any damages if the uninsured motorist cannot pay. However, you may be able to sue another party who bears some responsibility for the crash, such as a different motorist who was involved in the collision or the manufacturer of the vehicle if a defect partially caused the collision.
Contact Our Maryville Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyers
Were you injured in an auto accident in Maryville that was caused by an uninsured motorist? Whether you are planning to file an uninsured motorist insurance claim or you need assistance determining who may be liable in a lawsuit, you should have help from an experienced Maryville uninsured motorist accident lawyer. Our firm knows how devastating it can be to sustain injuries in a collision caused by someone who cannot compensate you for the harm you have caused. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us to find out more about how we can help. Contact Fox Farley Willis & Burnette today.