Nashville Family & Divorce Lawyer
Family and divorce law is unique in that it touches a wide range of very personal issues. This legal topic is so expansive that it is quite likely you will need an attorney at some point in your life. Marriage, divorce, adoption, paternity, child custody, and similar matters are all very private, intimate issues. At the same time, there are significant legal rights associated with these subjects.
At Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC, our knowledgeable attorneys have the experience necessary to protect your interests, combined with the compassion to understand how profoundly family law and divorce affect your life. If you are facing a dispute, or simply want to know more about your rights, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with a Nashville family law & divorce lawyer.
Trust a Skilled Nashville, TN Family and Divorce Lawyer
Our legal team at Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC represents clients in all type of family law and divorce matters, including:
- Divorce: Though Tennessee law provides multiple situations that are grounds for divorce, parties can also cite irreconcilable differences. In either event, many couples will face issues related to asset division for property acquired during the marriage. The law requires that all marital property be distributed equitably between the parties, which may or may not mean an equal split. In addition, a court may enter an order for alimony where appropriate
If the parties can agree on these issues, the court will typically approve the arrangement. Any disputes may be resolved through a court hearing. Because this proceeding is very similar to a trial, it is critical to retain an attorney to protect your interests.
- Child Custody, Visitation, and Support: If there are minor children involved with divorce proceedings, care and financial support will be important issues. The law favors a shared approach to parenting, where both parents participate in raising him or her.
Child support may come up in divorce, but it is also a factor in paternity cases. Tennessee law imposes a legal obligation upon both parents to provide financial support for the child’s needs. The non-custodial parent will pay child support in most situations.
Note that the child’s best interests are the primary factor in all matters related to minor children. Gender of the parent is not a consideration, which is contrary to the traditional approach that favors the mother.
- Adoption: Welcoming a new family member is a joyful experience, but there are legal requirements to adopt. Even among family members, you must comply with the laws to make the adoption legally effective.
- Additional Legal Services: We offer comprehensive legal services in the area of family law and divorce, such as:
- Prenuptial Agreements;
- Paternity and parentage;
- Enforcement of Child Support Orders;
- Domestic Violence;
- Grandparents Rights; and,
- Many others.
Discuss Your Circumstances with a Nashville Family & Divorce Lawyer
No matter what your family law issue may be, you need a solid legal advocate on your side to ensure protection of your rights. If you have questions about your situation, please contact Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC at (866) 862-4855 to schedule a consultation.