Maryville Energy & Atomic Work Accident Lawyer
Tennessee workers who are employed in coal and nuclear energy production are at a heightened risk of various illnesses, and injuries, due to exposure to toxic chemicals and other hazards at the workplace. Whether you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, cancer, or a chronic overuse injury, you deserve to be compensated by your employer. Here at Fox Farley Willis & Burnette, our Maryville energy & atomic work accident lawyers can help you pursue life-changing compensation that will vastly improve your ability to pay the mortgage, the best medical treatment, pain and suffering, and more.
Types of Compensation in a Work-Caused Injury or Illness
There are three types of claims that are relevant in work-related injuries and illnesses. The first, and generally the easiest to earn, is a workers’ compensation benefits claim. Workers’ compensation is no fault insurance that an injured employee can use whether they, their employer, or another party was responsible for causing the injury. Workers’ compensation pays for medical care and partial wage replacement. If you were exposed to toxic substances and developed an injury, such as cancer, you may be able to file a toxic tort, which would allow you to collect substantially more compensation than a simple workers’ compensation claim. This is because a toxic tort would also include pain and suffering, full wage replacement, lost earning ability, and more. Similarly, if you were injured at work and it was found that your employer ignored safety regulations or engaged in egregious or reckless behavior, you can sue them in a personal injury claim and collect lost earnings, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, and more. Furthermore, because toxic torts and personal injury lawsuits take so long to settle, it may be in your best interest to file for workers’ compensation (if you are still employed by that employer) on top of any additional lawsuit, as you will be able to collect lost wages and pay for medical treatment much sooner.
Common Injuries and Illnesses in Energy Production
- Chronic beryllium disease (CBD)—Beryllium disease, caused by inhaling beryllium powder or dust, causes weakness, difficulty breathing, coughing, joint pain, weight loss, fatigue, and more, according to My Cleveland Clinic.
- Mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases—Mesothelioma is an incurable type of cancer caused by inhaling asbestos fibers—an insulating material used in many types of machinery.
- Blood disorders and cancer—According to WebMD, employees who work in nuclear power plants may have a higher risk of cancer than others. In addition to cancer, workers exposed to high levels of ionizing radiation may come down with various blood disorders, including aplastic anemia and myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Work Injuries—Fractures, lacerations, sprains, back injuries, and TBI are all common in physically demanding occupations.
- Hearing Loss—Exposure to loud noises over time causes hearing loss, which is the most common work related injury in the U.S.
Contact a Maryville Energy & Atomic Work Accident Lawyer
If you were injured or became ill because of the work you do, or were diagnosed months or years after you left your previous energy job, you can seek compensation from your current or former employer. Call our Maryville energy and atomic work attorneys at Fox Farley Willis & Burnette today at 865-457-6440 to schedule a free case evaluation.