Knoxville Pradaxa Lawyer
The pharmaceutical giant Boehringer Ingelheim developed Pradaxa, a blood thinning medication designed to prevent blood clots, as an alternative to warfarin. At first, the medication was hailed as a major achievement because it limited the number of strokes suffered by patients when compared to warfarin. However, the truth has come out: Pradaxa is a dangerous drug, and Boehringer Ingelheim has settled hundreds of lawsuits, totaling millions of dollars, surrounding harm caused to patients. Contact our Knoxville Pradaxa lawyers today.
The Risks of Pradaxa
Pradaxa is a prescription blood thinner medication that reduces the risk of having a stroke for patients with atrial fibrillation, deep vein thrombosis, or pulmonary embolism. While Boehringer Ingelheim claims that Pradaxa is “proven superior to warfarin at reducing the risk of stroke,” the drug can be dangerous, and has caused harm to thousands of people throughout the United States. A Food and Drug Administration medication guide about Pradaxa warns users that:
- Stopping Pradaxa increases the risk of stroke. If a patient is taking Pradaxa, they should not wait until their prescription runs out to fill it, as stopping Pradaxa is associated with an increased risk of stroke, since the risk of a blood clot forming increases significantly.
- Taking Pradaxa increases the risk of severe bleeding. Another concern with Pradaxa is that taking Pradaxa increases the risk of bleeding, which may be serious. Bleeding caused by Pradaxa can lead to death, as blood clots cannot form, and therefore the body cannot cease bleeding on its own. The risk of bleeding is more serious if you:
- Are an elderly adult, age 75 or above;
- Have kidney problems;
- Have ulcers or other stomach or intestinal bleeding problems; or
- Take certain medications, including other blood thinning medications or certain kidney medications.
One of the most dangerous facts about Pradaxa is that unlike the blood thinning effects of warfarin, which can be combatted with a vitamin K antidote, there are no approved coagulating agents to be used with Pradaxa. (An antidote is in the process of being developed, however).
- Risk of heart attack. While not the primary reason for which Pradaxa has been deemed a dangerous drug, the risk of heart attack may be increased for patients who use Pradaxa. To be sure, a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that the relative increase in risk of heart attack for those taking Pradaxa, when compared to those taking other blood thinning drugs, was between 27 to 33 percent.
Pradaxa Blamed for Deaths, Hospitalizations, and Serious Injuries
Despite Boehringer Ingelheim’s apparent attempt to manufacture a blood thinning medication that was safer for patient use than warfarin and Xarelto – another popular and dangerous anticoagulant – the problem has remained. In fact, Pradaxa has been blamed for more than 500 deaths, and countless incidents of severe bleeding leading to injury and hospitalization. In fact, in 2014, Boehringer Ingelheim settled approximately 4,000 lawsuits against the company for a whopping $650 million. At the time of the settlement, the company adamantly denied any wrongdoing, and stated that it settled the lawsuit merely as an attempt to avoid lengthy and costly litigation.
Regardless of what Boehringer Ingelheim claims, it is clear that the company neglected its duty to consumers in the country. Lawsuits against the drug manufacturer allege that:
- Boehringer Ingelheim failed to test the drug thoroughly enough to determine its risks;
- Pradaxa is inherently dangerous, and that its risks outweigh its benefits;
- Boehringer Ingelheim continued to manufacture, market, and sell the drug despite known risks;
- The company failed to disclose known risks to consumers; and
- The company continues to misrepresent the drug’s safety.
Do I Have a Case Against Boehringer Ingelheim?
Pradaxa is still being used by, and causing harm to, patients in Tennessee and across the country today. If you are a victim of the risks of Pradaxa, or if you have lost a family member due to a bleeding injury or heart attack that you believe was caused by Pradaxa use, you may have a case. Thousands of people have already taken action against the pharmaceutical giant – you deserve to recover compensation for your losses. If you think that you may have a case, contact our experienced Knoxville dangerous drug attorneys today to schedule your free case consultation. Our attorneys will help you to establish that:
- Boehringer Ingelheim breached its duty of care, and acted negligently, by manufacturing and selling a drug that was unsafe for patient use, as well as failing to disclose the risks of the drug.
- Your injuries would not have occurred but for the company’s negligence, and that medical reports and medical experts’ testimonies support that.
- You have suffered financial and noneconomic losses as a direct result of your harm caused by taking Pradaxa, including large hospital bills, the inability to work, pain, and emotional anguish, or the death of a loved one resulting in loss of consortium, emotional suffering, medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, and loss of income and household services.
Why You Should Take Action Today
Big companies should not get away with putting profits over people, which is exactly what Boehringer Ingelheim has done. You have the right to take a prescription drug that will not cause you harm – when this right is infringed upon, taking legal action is essential. When you file a lawsuit against a dangerous drug manufacturer, you not only take steps towards improving your future, but also raise awareness about the dangerous drug, potentially protecting others from the same harm you have suffered.
Call Our Knoxville Drug Injury Attorneys Today
At Fox Willis Burnette, PLLC, Attorneys at Law, our 30 years’ worth of experience, and the millions of dollars that we have recovered on behalf of our injury victims, speaks for itself. We are passionate about helping those who have been wrongfully injured seek compensation, and will not back down against large corporations like Boehringer Ingelheim. If you are looking for a Knoxville dangerous drug attorneys on whom you can rely to fight for your rights, call our offices today. You can also request a free case consultation by filling out a form within on our website.